Blog Details

What is an EU Blue Card?


What is an EU Blue Card?


The EU Blue Card is a work- and residence permit for non-EU/EEA nationals. The European Blue Card provides comprehensive socio-economic rights and a path towards permanent residence and EU citizenship.


The EU Blue Card program is a merit-based system - interpreting the applicant's ‘merits’ based on education level, professional experience and sought-after skills. However, the EU Blue Card is not points-based; either you have the education or skills, or you do not.


The benefits

·        Equal work and salary conditions to national citizens,

·         Free movement throughout EU,

·        Social rights, including education, economic, cultural, human, health rights,

·        Family reunification and   Permanent-residency rights.


You will be eligible for all benefits except housing, loans and grants.


Which states don't issue Blue Cards?


· Denmark

· Ireland

· Norway

· Liechtenstein

· Iceland

· Switzerland




Eligibility Criteria*

When applying for a Blue Card you must meet the following conditions:


·       Prove you have 'higher professional qualifications', by showing a higher education qualification (such as university degree).

·       Have at least 5 years of experience in your field*.

·       Have a work contract or a job offer for highly qualified employment for at least one year.

·       Meet the minimum salary threshold in the EU country where you want to work.

For regulated professions: proof that the national legal requirements are met. *eligibility criteria may vary based on country where application is submitted


The documents you'll need to apply:


·       Application Form

·       Passport: Valid for at least 15 more months beyond your planned date to leave the EU.

·       Two photos

·       Work contract with an EU employer based in the country you wish to work in: It should be signed by all parties involved. It must be valid for at least one year, meeting at least the minimal required wage.

Proof of professional level: A university diploma is required as a proof of continuous 5 years professional work experience in your field.


·  Updated CV

·  Proof of application fee payment

·  Proof of health insurance

·  Proof that your salary exceeds the average in the hosting state by 1.5 times or 1.2 times for professions in shortage

·  A written declaration by your employer. This is a document written by your employer stating reasons of employment and the benefits gained by this act. As a sponsor it is sufficient to write a declaration stating that the employee meets all conditions and requirements important to employer and Proof of no threat to the public policy, security or health of the hosting state.